AOGS is eager to see more participation by its members based in Malaysia and Thailand at the society’s annual meetings. At the April 2017 meeting, AOGS Council shared that members based in Malaysia and Thailand are also eligible to apply for Reduced Registration Fee.
- Complimentary Registration (AOGS Comps)
- Reduced Registration Fee
- AOGS2018 Registration Waiver Scheme for Student Volunteers
- For every 20 accepted abstracts, 1 complimentary registration provided to the Session Convener for deciding the recipient.
- Total funding available is up to 120 complimentary registrations.
- Conveners may not award themselves AOGS Comps because society policy forbids such practices.
Deadlines for Conveners
Complete Abstract Review – 02 Feb 2018
Decide AOGS Comps Recipient Online - 09 Feb 2018
(AOGS Secretariat Sends Notification on 09 Feb 2018)
|Recipients Must Register by 20 Apr 2018 or the offer will lapse|
How the scheme operates
For each session, the quota of AOGS Comps is auto-computed after abstract review is completed and only authors with an accepted abstract can be considered. Convener(s) can access this information on MARS.
The Convener needs decide and make the selection online. Once selected, the registration fee of the AOGS Comps recipient will automatically be set to zero.
Secretariat Office should inform the selected individual as early as possible.
The recipient must be an author-presenter and the benefit is not transferable.
AOGS Comps Recipients need complete registration by 20 Apr 2018 or the offer will lapse.
Enquires & Assistance
Please contact AOGS Secretariat by email to: email@example.com
Eligibility for the reduced fee scheme is restricted to scientists working in less wealthy countries, as defined by the World Bank list of low income and lower middle income countries. Information about the classification procedure is provided at: http://data.worldbank.org/about/country-classifications. There are 84 countries defined as low or lower-middle income, including 21 countries in the Asia Oceania region. These are listed below by alphabetical order by category.
If there are more applicants for the reduced fee scheme than funding available, selection criteria will be applied. The selection process will be overseen by the Financial Support Committee which is chaired by the AOGS Treasurer. The criteria used for the selection process include assessment of the quality of the science, the value of the contribution to the conference session and the relative career stage of the applicant, with preference towards junior scientists.
Application Closes at 12 noon on 19 Jan 2018
Result Notification by 09 Feb 2018
Registration and Payment by 20 Apr 2018
Conditions for Application
- Applicants MUST be based in less wealthy countries, as defined by the World Bank list of low income and lower middle income countries. (Refer to list of countries below)
- Applicants MUST have an accepted abstract.
- Applicants must submit all required information.
- Application must be submitted by 12 noon on 19 Jan 2018 (Singapore time).
- Applications will be reviewed and successful applicants will be notified by email by 09 Feb 2018.
- Successful applicants must confirm their participation by 20 Apr 2018, and the payment of that registration fee must be completed by then. Otherwise the offer will lapse.
Applicants based in the following countries are eligible
|Low Income||Low Middle Income|
|Central African Republic||Côte d'Ivoire|
|Comoros||Egypt, Arab Rep.|
|Congo, Dem. Rep||El Salvador|
|Korea, Dem Rep.||Kiribati|
|Mali||Micronesia, Fed. Sts.|
|South Sudan||Papua New Guinea|
|Togo||São Tomé and Principe|
|Syrian Arab Republic|
|West Bank and Gaza|
- The student volunteer’s registration fee will be waived
- Each will receive a complimentary AOGS Polo-T Shirt
- Upon successful completion, each will receive a Certificate of Recognition
- Meals (breakfast/lunch/dinner) will be provided to those on duty
AOGS membership for 3 years - see member benefits here
Current AOGS/AGU/EGU/JpGU Members
Early Bird Rate
If Paid By 20 Apr 2018
If Paid By 09 May 2018
If Paid After 09 May 2018
New AOGS Members
Background and Eligibility
- The scheme will be implemented by the Local Advisory Committee (LAC) of the 2018 AOGS Annual Meeting in consultation with AOGS
- At least 40 student volunteer registration waivers will be available. Student volunteer registrants will be required to work for AOGS for AT LEAST half the conference (i.e. 2.5 days).
- Students must be English-speaking
- Students may apply for the scheme by sending an email that provides the required information to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject heading “AOGS2018 Student Volunteer” before the end of 02 Feb 2018. Applications must:
- State the full name of the applicant, the degree enrolled in, the year of the degree, the name and location of the applicant's university, and the name of the university department;
- State the Abstract number(s), title(s) and Session(s) of their submitted abstract(s);
- State how definitely they will attend if you obtain a waiver under the LAC/LOC Student Registration Waiver scheme;
- State whether they would like to help throughout the conference (i.e. full-time) or for 2.5 days only (i.e. half-time).
- State name and email address of supervisor.
- Conference Services or Meeting Room Assistant? If Meeting Room Assistant, state which sessions they would particularly like to help with.
Application Process and Criteria
Duties of a Student Volunteer
- Conference Services – set-up registration desks, issue name badge, program books and help out at the poster sessions. Or
- Meeting Room Assistant – Help the Session Chair check author attendance, update technical program. If requested, help speakers to upload presentation files (in thumb drive) on to the computer.
* Why Student Volunteers Cannot Be Paid a Stipend
The AOGS constitution (clause 3.1) does not allow their members to receive remuneration from the society http://www.asiaoceania.org/docs/constitution.pdf. The AOGS officers (e.g., president or program committee chairs) serve the society on a voluntary basis, as in many other academic societies. For AOGS, membership is by way of participation at its annual meeting. Anyone (students included) automatically becomes a member for a 3 year period, once he/she participates at the annual meeting. As such, AOGS cannot pay its student members for helping out during the society’s annual meeting.