Dates & Locations
Call for Venue Proposal (Closed)
Approved for implementation in 2017 - Learn More Here
Learn More Here
Learn More Here
AOGS Distinguished Lecturers - Criteria & Selection Process
This document describes the criteria and process recommended
for the selection of Society and Section Distinguished
Lecturers for the annual AOGS meetings. Normally there will be
two Society Distinguished Lectures at each annual AOGS
meeting, as well as two Section Distinguished Lectures per
- A Society or Section Distinguished Lecturer must have have a sustained (for at least 10 years) track record of excellent science.
- It is desirable, but not essential, that a Society or Section Distinguished Lecturer be either born or have worked in the AOGS region.
Thus Distinguished Lecturers will be selected primarily
on the basis of their excellent, sustained, scientific record.
Selection process for Section Distinguished Lecturers
- The Section President forms a Selection Committee with a nominee as Chair.
- The Selection Committee requests nominations, each comprised of the nominee's name, institution, and a few-sentence rationale.
- The Selection Committee uses the criteria and information from the nominators to develop a ranked list of nominees, comprised of the two top-ranked nominees plus alternates.
- The Selection Committee forwards the ranked list to the Council for discussion, possible revision, and eventual approval.
- The Selection Committee is then responsible for inviting
the approved nominees and, once they accept, organizing the
Selection process for Society Distinguished Lecturers
The process will be essentially identical to that for Section Distinguished Lecturers except that the relevant Committee will the Society's Nomination Committee.